Thursday, August 9, 2012

1st Lieutenant Kyle Durant

No more butter bars! :)  2nd Lieutenants wear gold bars on their uniform like this:

Kyle's last day to wear gold bars :)

Butter bars is a term used that isn't usually used in the nicest context and sorta means "boot", but now Kyle's got his silver bars, baby! :)

For Kyle's promotion they said they were going to hold it at the front gate where there is a smaller version of the Iwo Jima Memorial.  We parked there and then his Captain and Gunny told him, "Give your wallet and phone to your wife...alrighty we're gonna go to the ceremony down my the water."  Kyle knew something was up, so he said, "Nah, I'm good...we can stay up here."  But they insisted :) 

Luckily, Kyle had a Marine (from Oregon, who's a Duck fan) who took some wonderful pictures of the ceremony. 

Kyle saluting Captain Petronzio before his oath. Kyle's platoon is behind him.

Captain chucking Kyle's gold bars...See ya later!

Gunny Shaw (who Kyle works closely with and really enjoys) and I, pinning on his new bars.

Taking his oath.  Right after this I heard Captain Petronzio say, "Have at 'em boys!" I knew they were going to throw him in the water so before they could reach him, the wife had one request...a picture before he's soaked :)

So proud of my Marine :) 

After our picture, this is what happened! :)

And finally this :) Kyle put up a fight, but his Marines got him!  Captain told us this is a tradition for AAV Officers and I'm sure the Marines love throwing their Lieutenant in the water, so no wonder the tradition stuck :)

This was definitely a memorable promotion!

Kyle's Marines congratulating him.

Kyle and Gunny Shaw

And one last picture with Kyle and his soaked cam is :)

All in all it was a wonderful promotion ceremony and I am so proud of my husband!  You are an amazing Marine, Kyle and we are all so proud of what you are doing!



















2 comments:

  1. Great pics! And congrats to Kyle, such a wonderful accomplishment. I'm sure the dip in the ocean was actually refreshing, I would be burning up in pants and long sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwww Brittney I love the tradition of Kyle's promotion! What a great memory for you both! Congrats to Kyle!

    ReplyDelete